Friday, June 26, 2009

Tribute

Hello, World! The last time I posted on my blog was two years ago, I believe and Michael Jackson has brought me back to my blog after a long gap. As we all know, Michael Jackson passed away yesterday - an untimely death, the death of an icon loved by many, hated by some but remembered by a lot.

The reason why I'm writing this today is because I'm simply amazed by the memories his death has brought back to my mind. Growing up in India, I didn't know much about pop or any kind of western music. Of course, ABBA and Boney M were popular in that part of the world also but it was Prem who introduced me to Michael Jackson. Prem was one of my best friends who went to school with me from 1st grade through 8th. He somehow knew about Michael Jackson and his music and was an ardent fan of the pop star. I borrowed tapes of Michael Jackson's albums Bad, Thriller and Dangerous from him to listen. It's amazing that I remembered Prem this morning after such a long time. I wonder where he is now and what he is doing. Even though I know that there is little chance of him reading this post but still Prem, if you do read this, I hope you are doing well.

I knew about Michael Jackson's other releases from time to time and a song of his that I won't forget is "Black or white" which was used by my team that took part in a fashion show back in college in India.

The radio station that I listen to in the mornings I drive to Peoria ran a tribute to Michael Jackson this morning. One of the hosts of the morning show had a touchy story to tell about Michael Jackson. Apparently, when he was little it was his older sister who introduced him to the pop star with the song "I'll be there for you ..." and its lyrics. He said on the radio that his sister passed away and he remembers growing up with her and misses her dearly.

Call it coincidence that it was my oldest sister who bought me my first and only Michael Jackson tape. After listening to the tapes borrowed from Prem, I asked my sister if she could buy me a tape too. She was very kind and bought me a tape of Michael Jackson's "We are the world" tour. Like the radio host, my sister also passed away and I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home